Join HPNA on May 21, 2021 from 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. EDT as we "Spring into Education" with our first ever mini-conference. This interactive 6-hour virtual conference includes topics surrounding controversial medications, cutting-edge opioid clinical management, complicated deprescribing case reviews, and concludes with a session on "speed dating with the pharmacy ladies". The desired outcome of this mini-conference is for learners to self-report this activity validated, enhanced, or will lead to a change in professional practice in the pharmacopalliation of serious illness.
- The role of gabapentinoids, benzodiazepines, or medical cannabis given in combination with an opioid followed by discussion surrounding recent evidence on opioid dosing informs best practice today dosing methadone, dosing levorphanol, opioid de-escalation, and conversion calculations.
- How recent evidence on opioid dosing informs best practice today in dosing methadone, dosing levorphanol, opioid de-escalation, and conversion calculations.
- Best practices in managing controversial clinical scenarios including the management of delirium, potential roles for medical cannabis, opioid stewardship in hospice and palliative care, managing pain in addiction/opioid misuse, management of difficult pain cases, and perioperative management of acute pain in patients receiving buprenorphine.
- When and how to discontinue high-stakes medications such as rocuronium, propofol (during a terminal mechanical ventilator extubation), milrinone, dobutamine, prostanoid therapy, and endothelin receptor antagonists.
Conference Registration Fees
HPNA Member: $250
Non-HPNA Member: $365 - This registration option comes with a 1-year HPNA membership starting the month of registration!
- Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- Judith A. Paice, PhD, RN
- Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM
- Kathryn A. Walker, PharmD, BCPS
- Kasey Malotte, PharmD, BCPS, APh
- Neha Darrah, MD
- Amy Davis, DO, MS, FACP, FAAHPM
- Jeremy Hirst, MD
- Akhila Reddy, MD
Successful activity completion awards the learner 6.0 NCPD accredited education contact hours and 6.0 Category 1 Designated Pharmacotherapeutic Credits (60-minutes per hour). Successful completion includes attending the activity in its entirety, attesting to attendance, and completing/submitting the post-activity evaluation within the timeframe specified.
The faculty and planners of this accredited continuing professional development activity have disclosed no relevant financial, professional, or personal relationship with ineligible companies pertaining to the faculty selection, delivery, and evaluation of this conference.
The Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation (ANCC). Provider number P0284.
- Welcome Message: Maria Natal, PhD, MSN, RN-BC, Senior Vice President of Clinical and Educational Services at HPNA
- That's Debatable! Does medical cannabis lower risk of opioid overdose? Do gabapentinoids increase risk of opioid overdose?: Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM; Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- Risk of benzos and opioids: Jeremy Hirst, MD
- Management of delirium: Jeremy Hirst, MD
- 11:10 - 11:20 a.m. ET: BREAK
- Opioid conversions/levorphanol: Akhila Reddy, MD
- Opioid induced hyperalgesia/Difficult pain cases - ketamine, lidocaine: Judith A. Paice, PhD, RN; Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- Perioperative acute pain management on buprenorphine - stop, don't stop, drop down strategies: Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM
- Tapering opioids: Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM; Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- 1:00 - 1:30 p.m. ET: LUNCH
- Use of medical cannabis to treat pain, nausea, other symptoms: Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM
- PEA: Mellar Davis, MD, FCCP, FAAHPM
- Methadone dosing in hospice/palliative care: Kathryn A. Walker, PharmD, BCPS, CPE; Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
- 2:45 - 2:55 p.m. ET - BREAK
- Managing pain in pain addicted and advanced illness patients: Amy Davis, DO, MS, FACP, FAAHPM
- Opioid stewardship in hospice and palliative care: Kathryn A. Walker, PharmD, BCPS, CPE
- High stakes medication deprescribing: Kasey Malotte, PharmD, BCPS, APh
- Potpourri - Speed dating with the pharmacy ladies: Kathryn A. Walker, PharmD, BCPS, CPE; Mary Lynn McPherson, PharmD, MA, MDE, BCPS
Registration Cancellation/Refund Policy
Registration fees are refundable, minus a $75 administrative fee, if the cancellation request is received in writing to Joan Blumer at [email protected] by May 7, 2021. Cancellations received between May 7, 2021 and May 14, 2021 will be refunded minus a $150 administrative. Please allow a minimum of 10-14 days for refunds to be processed. After May 14, 2021, no refunds will be given. HPNA reserves the right to cancel the Spring Mini-Conference, in which the full course tuition will be refunded.